Pumpkin and lentil soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 small chilli, chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ (600g-800g) butternut pumpkin, cubed
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp chicken-style stock powder
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion, chilli, garam masala and cumin until the onion becomes translucent.
Add the pumpkin and fry for 2 minutes.
Pour in the water and add the stock powder. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the lentils and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Top soup with chopped tomato and fresh coriander if you happen to have some.
- For a chunkier soup, mash pumpkin with a potato masher instead of using a stick blender.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.