Spicy pumpkin hummus with pita bread recipe
Spicy pumpkin hummus is a delicious twist on traditional hummus. Serve it with warm pita bread wedges as a lovely appetiser. Find more on Kidspot New Zealand.
- 2 cups cooked butternut pumpkin pulp (see Notes below)
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin, plus extra for sprinkling
- olive oil, to drizzle
- pita bread, to serve
Mix all of the ingredients except the olive oil and pita bread in a bowl.
Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with some extra ground cumin. Wrap the pita bread in foil and warm in the oven.
- You can buy tahini in the health food section of the supermarket.
- To roast butternut pumpkin for this recipe: split a whole butternut pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and cook it in the oven at 180°C (160°C) for 45 minutes. There is no need to peel it. You can just scoop out the pulp when you remove it from the oven. If you have some leftover it is great for soup or filling for pasta.
- Butternut pumpkin is best used for this recipe because of its sweetness. You can use other varieties, but you may need to add a teaspoon of honey.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.