Slow cooker lamb shanks with red wine and mushrooms recipe
These delicious slow cooked lamb shanks are fall-off-the-bone tender and have a delicious and slightly sweet mushroom and red wine gravy.
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 4 large lamb shanks, frenched (bones at the end trimmed of fat)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup water
In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper and coat the lamb shanks liberally.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown all over before transferring to the slow cooker.
In the same frying pan, over a medium heat, cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the stock, maple syrup and red wine. Bring to the boil and pour over lamb shanks.
Cook the shanks for 4-6 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW setting.
After the lamb is cooked, make the mushroom sauce. In a frying pan over a medium heat, cook the mushrooms for 2 minutes in butter. Remove the shanks from the slow cooker and set aside. Strain the juices from the slow cooker into the frying pan. Bring to the boil.
In a cup, combine cornflour and water; add to frying pan. Whisk for 3 minutes and cook until sauce is the consistency of gravy. Add the lamb back into the frying pan. Heat just before serving with mashed potato and steamed green veggies.
- I used 4 very large hind shanks for this recipe but if you have fore shanks you may need 8.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more slow cooker recipes:
- Lamb and tomato hot pot
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomatoes
- Slow cooker beef with red wine shallot gravy
- Slow cooked chicken and chorizo
- Slow cooker meatloaf
- Slow cooker chicken soup
- Slow cooker stuffed lamb shoulder
- Slow cooker beef, red wine and mushroom casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin slow cooker casserole