Italian beef and potato casserole recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 kg blade steak, cut into 3cm cubes (ask your butcher to do this)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 400g tin Ardmona chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 140°C (120°C fan-forced).
Heat the olive oil in a flameproof/ovenproof casserole dish over medium-low heat. Cook the onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes or until softened. Transfer the onion mixture to a plate.
Increase the heat to high and brown the beef in batches.
Return the onion mixture and beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil then cover and cook in the oven for 3 hours.
Check every now and then to ensure the meat is still covered with liquid, add a little water if necessary and give the casserole a good stir.
Serve from the oven, keep in the fridge for up to two days or freeze until needed.
- Serve this casserole with a loaf of nice bread and a salad. Or if you'd like to bulk this out a bit, some nice soft polenta or mashed potatoes on the side would also be beautiful.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen from Local is Lovely. You can follow Sophie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin casserole
- Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Italian chicken casserole
- Lamb and bean casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole