Apple, pumpkin and cheddar soup recipe
- 100g butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
Heat half of the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leek and cook for a few minutes or until the leek is soft.
Add the pumpkin, apple, juice, stock, allspice and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir until well combined. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
Puree the soup with the remaining butter, cheese and sugar until smooth.
Serve sprinkled with extra cheese and warm bread rolls or freeze or refrigerate until later.
- Swap the pumpkin with sweet potato if you like.
- If you can find it, a beautiful smoked cheddar makes a big difference to this soup.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen from Local is Lovely. You can follow Sophie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.