Healthy homemade tacos recipe
serves 4 - 6
- 4-6 baby cos lettuce leaves
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups natural corn chips
- 200g sour cream
- coriander sprigs, to garnish
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- chilli powder, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 tsp taco seasoning, above
- 600g lean beef mince
- 140g tomato paste
- 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
- chilli powder, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the taco seasoning, combine all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake well. Seal in an airtight container. This mixture will keep for a couple of weeks.
To make the mince filling, heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the taco seasoning and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the mince and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste and water and season to taste with chilli, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes.
To serve, spoon the mince into each lettuce leaf, top with a little sour cream and coriander sprigs, and pop the chips and capsicum on the side.
- Serve these tacos with a dollop of guacamole on the side if you like.
- Swap the lettuce leaves for conventional taco shells if you prefer.
- My kids like to crumble their corn chips into the lettuce cups for extra crunch factor!
- Add diced carrot to the mince mixture to up the veggie content.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen from Local is Lovely. You can follow Sophie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.