Garlic chicken schnitzel recipe
- 2 cups dried or fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- ½ cup plain flour
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, stock powder, garlic powder and chilli powder.
In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and milk together.
Pour the flour onto a plate.
Coat the chicken slices in the flour, then the egg and milk wash, and then press into crumbs until evenly coated all over.
Repeat with all chicken pieces.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken on a low to medium setting until golden and then turn and cook the other side.
Drain on paper towels and serve with lemon wedges and salad.
- Garlic powder is something you can use when the recipe has to be fried but you still want that garlic flavour. If you used fresh garlic in its place, the garlic would burn and taste bitter before the chicken was cooked through.
- If you are cooking a large number of schnitzels, you may like to keep them warm in a very low oven set at 120°C. until you have cooked all the chicken. This will ensure it is still warm and will keep that coating crunchy.
- You may like to increase the chilli powder for more bite or omit it altogether if serving to small children.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more recipes with chicken:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken