Homemade cake mix recipe
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
To make the cake:
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g butter, softened
- 3 eggs
To create the cake mixes for later use, just combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a resealable bag and store for up to 3 months in the pantry.
To bake the cake:
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line 2 x 20cm cake tins with baking paper and set aside.
To make the cake mix, tip the bag of dry ingredients into a bowl, add milk, vanilla, butter and eggs and beat for 3 minutes. Pour into the cake tins.
Bake for 20 minutes or until centre of cakes bounce back after being touched lightly.
- To make this a chocolate cake you can add ¼ cup of cocoa per mix. You can also add this to the bags in the beginning if you want chocolate cake mixes.
- The reason these only keep for three months is that baking powder needs to be fresh to act correctly in the recipe.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find inspiring birthday cake recipes:
- Balloon birthday cake
- Birthday cake recipes
- Bouncing balls birthday cake
- Chocolate owl birthday cake
- Chocolate-dipped strawberry flower birthday cake
- Cupcake tower birthday cake
- Dino birthday cake
- Easy lolly birthday cake recipe
- Flower pot birthday cake
- Handbag birthday cake
- Hollywood starlet birthday cake
- Ice cream cone birthday cake
- Island birthday cake
- Make-up compact birthday cake
- Marshmallow flower birthday cake
- Mermaid treasure birthday cake
- My Little Pony birthday cake
- Pirate ship birthday cake
- Princess birthday cake
- Simple marshmallow birthday cake recipe
- Soccer field birthday cake
- Spaceship birthday cake