Rainbow cupcakes recipe
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g butter, softened
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line 2 x 12 cup cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
To make the cake batter, place the flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Using a mixer, beat in the milk, vanilla, butter and eggs until combined. Beat for 4 minutes.
Divide the mixture evenly between seven bowls. Using the food colouring, tint each bowl of mixture the colours of the rainbow.
Starting with red, drop 1 teaspoon of mixture into each liner. Repeat with each colour until the trays are full.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until centre of cakes bounce back after being touched lightly.
Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack until ready to frost.
With an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the vanilla and icing mixture, half a cup at a time. Beat in the milk at the end until well incorporated.
Frost each cupcake with the icing. I used a fancy nozzle and an icing bag but a nice thick coating will look just as good.
- This is a no-fuss cake mix. You can flavour it with any essences that you have on hand. I like to use strawberry flavour.
- Food colouring and amounts are up to your own discretion. You can use liquid or gel colouring for this recipe. Just add a little at a time and mix until you have the colour that you want. I used red and blue to make purple batter and red and yellow to make orange batter.
- Drop each measure of batter directly into the centre of the cupcake liners to create the layers.
- Avoid giving these cupcakes to anyone with sensitivity to food colouring. You can try using natural food colouring but you won’t get the same vibrant end result.
- If you want chocolate icing instead of buttercream icing just add 1/3 cup of sifted cocoa powder to the mixture an omit the vanilla.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes