Thai roasted tofu with ginger, basil and chilli vegetables recipe
- 500 g firm tofu (soy bean curd), cut into 6 x 1.5cm thick slices
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 x 3 second spray oil spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 individual fresh garlic, crushed
- 90 g fresh red chilli, (2 whole), deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green capsicum, (red), de-seeded, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green beans, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, (preferably Thai), shredded
- 2 individual Shallot, raw, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cups brown rice, boiled without salt, kept hot
Preheat oven to 220C. Place tofu slices between several layers of paper towel. Press out excess water from tofu.
Line a separate baking tray with baking paper. Cut tofu into cubes. Place on baking tray and toss with soy sauce. Spray tofu with oil and roast in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Increase heat to high and add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add capsicum and beans and cook, tossing for 5 minutes, or until tender and crisp.
Add teriyaki sauce, water, basil and roasted tofu. Cook to heat through. Sprinkle with shallots and extra basil, and then serve with the brown rice.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days and reheated in the microwave.
- Try introducing some Asian greens to give it an extra boost of goodness. Bok Choy and Chinese broccoli work great here.
- This recipe was written by Weight Watchers for Kidspot.