Potato and leek soup recipe
- 450g leeks
- 50g butter
- 6 stalks thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 450g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1L water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50ml cream
Peel leeks, removing the tough green part at the top and slice the whites thinly. Place in a colander and wash well, removing any dirt.
Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and once it has melted and begun to bubble, add the leeks. Cook for a few minutes before throwing in the thyme and bay leaves.
Once the leeks are soft, about 10 minutes all up, add the potatoes and cook for a couple more minutes. Add the water and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the potatoes are nice and soft (about 15 minutes).
Transfer the mixture
- If you add a good pinch of salt to the pan while cooking the leeks, it will prevent them from burning.
- This soup would make a great lunch, maybe packed with a few slices of cheddar cheese, a little bread roll and some fresh fruit.
- I like to use Dutch cream potatoes for this recipe.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.