French raspberry butter cake recipe
- 250g butter, room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 4 eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 cup raspberries
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Butter a 20cm springform cake tin and set aside.
Cream butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla paste and then the eggs 1 at a time, beating well between each addition.
Fold through the flour and finally the raspberries. Pour the mixture into the tin.
Bake for about 35 minutes. It will be ready when the sides of the cake are just beginning to pull away from the cake tin and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let the cake cool on a wire rack.
- You can skip the fruit in this cake and make it as a beautiful plain vanilla cake. This served with warm chocolate sauce and ice cream is my husband’s ideal dessert. Otherwise swap the raspberries for apples, pears, plums or any other fruit.
- Instead of vanilla, you could add a teaspoon of finely grated orange rind, some mixed spice or a tablespoon or two of cocoa.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related cake recipes
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing