Cottage cheese recipe
- 1.2L low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
In a saucepan, heat the milk until it is very hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
Add lemon juice to the milk and gently stir. This will cause curds to form and a milky liquid which is called whey. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Pour through a strainer to catch the curds. Transfer the curds to a container and add salt. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If you like a creamy cottage cheese, you can stir through two tablespoons of cream before serving.
- You can use the strained liquid to replace water in a bread recipe or to replace buttermilk in a pancake recipe.
- This may be combined with mashed vegetables or fruit for a meal.
- Keeps for 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.