Beetroot choc whoopie pies recipe
- 2 large fresh beetroot
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raw cocoa powder (or regular cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
Wrap the beetroot in foil and roast for an hour or until soft.
Meanwhile, grease and line a 12 hole whoopie pie tin.
Peel and place the beetroot in the bowl of your food processor and blitz for a couple of minutes. Then place all remaining ingredients in the bowl of your food processor and blitz until you have a smooth batter.
Spoon this into prepared tins, about 3/4 full and bake for 10 minutes if using the whoopie pie tins or 25 mins if making one large cake.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. To serve, sandwich whoopie pies between a little natural yoghurt and jam.
- I bought my whoopie pie tin at a homewares shop recently and so we have been making lots of whoopie (pies).
- You could just as easily use a muffin tin for this recipe - in this case I would fill each muffin hole 3/4 full and then once cooled slice them in half with a serrated knife and fill with the yoghurt or jam.
- Alternatively make one large cake - a 24cm springform cake tin would be ideal. In this case bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from the sides.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.