Luscious fish pie recipe
- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with a little water
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- juice of 1 lemon
- 600g fresh salmon, cut into 2cm chunks
- 250g smoked fish (not the sliced variety), flaked
- 4 eggs, boiled, peeled and diced
- 2 cups mashed potato
- cooking spray
- 1 carrot, optional, to decorate
Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced.
Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan and saute onion and carrot until soft.
Add spinach and stir until just wilted. Add milk, bring to a simmer, stir in mustard powder and cornflour mixture.
Stir until mixture thickens. Stir in cheese. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice.
Arrange salmon and smoked fish in a flat-bottomed casserole dish.
Sprinkle egg on top. Pour over creamy vegetable sauce.
Place dollops of mashed potato on top and smooth across entire surface. Spray with a little cooking spray.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until piping hot and golden. Decorate with fish shapes cut from raw carrot slices for novelty effect. Serve with salad or veg.
- Rather than boiling the buggery out of eggs, I simply bring them to an initial boil, then turn off the heat, put a lid on the saucepan and leave them for 10 minutes. Stops them bursting at the seams etc. My mother-in-law taught me that, clever woman.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.