Moroccan chicken tagine recipe
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets (also great with chook legs)
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 quarters preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 100g mixed olives
- chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
Toss chicken in mixture of paprika, turmeric and ginger. Fry spiced chicken in olive oil on a low heat until sealed and golden.
Place chicken in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic to the pan, cooking on low heat until soft, then place in the slow cooker.
Add tomatoes with their juice, cinnamon, stock and lemon juice to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Add chickpeas to the slow cooker for another 30 minutes.
Remove pulp from preserved lemons, rinse rinds under cold water and finely dice. Add to chicken with olives.
Simmer a further 10 minutes. Serve with couscous and sprinkle with parsley.
- If preserved lemons are not your thing, you could add a good squeeze of lemon juice to the chicken instead. The lemon will give the dish a lovely brightness of flavour.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.