Healthy chicken parmigiana recipe
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 500g chicken breast
- 100g mozzarella or bocconcini
Heat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
Place all tomato sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce is reduced a little and onions are soft. Cool slightly.
Heat oil in frying pan and add eggplant slices. Sprinkle each slice with a little salt and cook on both sides until tender (about 5 minutes per side). Cool slightly.
Slice each chicken breast horizontally through the centre to make two thin fillets.
Place each fillet in an oven proof dish and top with slices of eggplant. Spoon over tomato sauce and top with slices of mozzarella or bocconcini.
Place dish into the oven and bake for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted. Serve with a nice big salad.
- If you like your cheese really bubbly and golden, give the chicken a blast under the grill for 30-60 seconds.
- This healthy parmigiana has around half the saturated fat of a traditional parmigiana.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find more chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken garlic schnitzel
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken