Pulled beef cottage pie with cauliflower mash recipe
- oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced or diced
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 350g pulled beef
- 1 (250ml) cup pulled beef sauce or 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ (63ml) cup water
- 2 medium potatoes (about 350g unpeeled), peeled and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (150-200g)
- 1 tbsp light butter
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- 4 tsp finely grated parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
Heat frying pan or saucepan to medium, add oil and onion, carrot, celery and rosemary with a pinch of salt.
Reduce heat and cook on low for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add pulled beef, beef sauce or beef stock and water.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes before turning off the heat and setting aside.
While the onions and beef are cooking, make the cauliflower mash.
Place the potato in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes before adding cauliflower florets.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes until potato and cauliflower are tender.
Drain liquid and mash roughly. Add butter and milk, season with salt and pepper and beat with a fork until smooth.
Divide meat mixture among ramekins and top with mash.
Sprinkle over parmesan cheese and place ramekins into the oven on a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve with a salad.
- This cauliflower mash is delicious and goes well with any cooked meat.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.