Carrot, oat and orange muffins recipe
Ring the changes at breakfast time with these yummy muffin. Tasty and light, they're perfect for sneaking more veggies into the kids when they're not looking too!
- 3 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 2 oranges
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250ml) natural yoghurt
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup porridge oats
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder together. In a separate bowl, mix the zest and sugar together with your fingers.
Whisk the eggs and yolk together in another bowl and add the butter, milk and yoghurt. Whisk well. Add the orange sugar and whisk again.
Fold through the dry ingredients and gently fold in the oats and carrots.
Spoon batter into lined muffin tins and either store in the fridge or freezer until needed or pop straight in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- You can also freeze the baked muffins to have to hand later.
- Feel free to throw in a handful of blueberries, craisins or other chopped fruit.
- This batter makes more than my 12-hole muffin tin so I set the leftover batter aside and then do another 6 or so when the tin's free!
- Thanks to our sister company, Kidspot Australia, for creating the instructional video.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.