Chicken soup recipe
For the stock
- 1 free-range chicken
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs lemon thyme
- 3L (12 cups) cold water
For the soup
- 1.5L (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1 leek, trimmed, quartered, thinly sliced
- 6 sticks celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup per person angel-hair pasta (broken into small pieces)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Mint and parsley, finely chopped, to serve
To make the stock
Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place in a large stockpot and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a gentle simmer and let bubble away for 2 hours. Check every now and then that chicken isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan as it could burn. Remove chicken from stock and place on plate. Allow to cool a little before shredding chicken, store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.
To make the soup
Bring about half of the stock to a rolling boil (work on 1 cup per person) Add the leeks and celery and cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the noodles and shredded chicken and cook for another 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in warm bowls topped with herbs.
- Throw in some chilli, fish sauce, ginger, lime and coriander for a Thai-style version of this soup.
- Serve with loads of shaved parmesan and a dollop of pesto for a bit of an Italian twist.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot. New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe