Ricotta hotcakes recipe
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 250g ricotta
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 180ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 1 tbsp butter
Rhubarb and raspberry compote
- 200g chopped rhubarb
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 100g fresh or frozen raspberries
- ice cream, mascarpone or yoghurt to serve
To make the hotcakes
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the ricotta, vanilla and milk.
Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form.
Add the flour to the egg yolk mixture, combining gently.
Add the beaten egg whites to the mixture, folding in carefully with a metal spoon.
Melt a little of the butter in a pan and spoon in just over 1 tbsp of the hotcake batter into the pan.
Cook over a medium/low heat for 3 minutes each side (or until cooked through!)
To make the Raspberry and Rhubarb Compote
Put the rhubarb in a saucepan with 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of water and simmer (covered) over a low heat until just soft.
Add the raspberries and simmer for 2 more minutes over a low heat.
Serve your hotcakes with the compote and some ice cream, yoghurt or mascarpone on the side.
- You can make a few hotcakes at a time, making sure they are golden and cooked through and keeping them warm in the oven while you cook each batch.
- You can also serve these with honeycomb butter. Blitz 100g of butter with 1 Crunchie Bar in the food processor. Roll into a sausage shape and chill. Cut off in discs and serve with toast, crumpets or hotcakes.
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Pip at Meet me at Mike's or on Pinterest and Twitter.
Find related pancake recipes
- Apple and cinnamon pancakes
- Red velvet pancakes
- Baby banana pancakes
- Bulk pancake mix
- Banana pancakes with caramel sauce
- Basic pancakes
- Buckwheat pancakes with berries
- Buttermilk pancakes
- Choc chip pancakes
- Cottage cheese pancakes
- Lemon and sugar pancakes
- Mulberry pancakes
- Orange syrup pancakes
- Pancakes with berries and yoghurt
- Pancakes with caramel bananas
- Ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter
- Simple pancakes
- Spotty berry pancakes