African-spiced cauliflower soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsps cumin
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1L chicken stock
- 250ml water
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 cup mashed potato or 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 250ml coconut milk
- chilli flakes to serve (optional)
Heat olive oil in a stockpot.
Saute onion and garlic until soft.
Add spices, saute for 1 minute.
Add stock, water and cauliflower, plus potatoes if using raw. Simmer with lid on stockpot until cauliflower is soft.
Add coconut milk and mashed potato (if using). Puree with stick blender.
Reheat gently. Serve sprinkled with chilli flakes for adult diners. Delicious with a fresh cob of bread and butter.
- This soup works well as a vegetarian option if you substitute veggie stock for the chicken.
- Adding a can of haricot beans for protein to the soup, and warming through gently for five minutes, makes this an easy one-pot wonder for dinner
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe