Balsamic lamb casserole recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lamb, best-neck
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 3 sticks celery, chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- handful of thyme sprigs
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan.
Brown the lamb. Place in slow cooker.
Saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic until they begin to soften.
Add to the slow-cooker, together with the tomatoes, thyme and balsamic vinegar. Cook on low for seven hours.
Add the cannellini beans. Cook for another 30 minutes.
Serve with soft polenta, mash or rice.
- If you want to add a Middle Eastern flavour to the dish, saute the veggies with 1tsp Moroccan spice, substitute chickpeas for cannellini beans and throw in a handful of sultanas before serving with couscous.
- Cheaper cuts of meat work well in a slow cooker because of the long cooking time. If you don't fancy neck of lamb, try lamb shanks instead.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin casserole
- Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Italian chicken casserole
- Lamb and bean casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Pork casserole with herb dumplings
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Italian beef and potato casserole