Christmas strudel recipe
- 500g Christmas cake
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- icing sugar for dusting
- vanilla bean custard to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
Crumble Christmas cake into a bowl and mix with brandy, sugar and grated apple.
Lay out 2 sheets of filo pastry and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon.
Repeat with another 2 sheets of filo. Repeat again with final 2 sheets.
Arrange the cake mixture down one of the short sides of the filo, about 5cm from the edge. Fold in the long sides and roll the filo and cake mixture to form a log shape. Brush with melted butter.
Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, or until golden.
Dust with icing sugar and serve with vanilla bean custard.
- If kids are going to be eating this, you can always replace the brandy with 2 tbsp orange juice.
- Or you can ring the changes with the flavour for the adults by substituting brandy with the same amount of Calvados or Grand Marnier.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.