Chicken and barley risotto recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup barley
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 1L chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Heat oil in heavy-based frying pan.
Stir-fry chicken until cooked through. Set aside.
Add extra oil to pan. Saute onion, leek and garlic until soft.
Add mushrooms and saute two minutes.
Add barley and stir to combine.
Add white wine to pan and simmer until liquid has almost evaporated.
Mix stock and water together. Add stock mixture to pan, 1 cup at a time, simmering and stirring occasionally until liquid has almost evaporated. Continue until barley is tender (about 30 minutes). Add more water if barley is still too firm.
When barley is tender, add chicken and warm through. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves (if desired) and serve.
- Also delicious with 1/4 cup cream stirred through at the same time as the chicken is added to the pan, then sprinkled with parmesan to serve.
- If you don't have fresh thyme leaves to hand, use 1tsp dried thyme instead.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.