- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 2 cups chilli con carne
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- veggies or salad to serve
If using a pie maker, cut circles in pastry with plastic cutters - large circles with the shortcrust pastry (pie bottoms), small circles with the puff pastry (pie lids).
Place large pastry circles in base of pie maker.
Add 1/2 cup of chilli con carne to each pie.
Sprinkle with grated tasty cheese.
Top with puff pastry circles. Cook until golden.
If you don't have a pie maker, bake pies in a large muffin pan or individual pie tins at 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Serve with salad or veggies.
- Add anKiwi touch by squirting a dollop of tomato sauce on top of the chilli mince and cheese mixture before popping the pastry lids on and baking.
- Double the quantities to make a batch so you can eat half now and freeze the rest for later. But just remember to reheat the pies in the oven. Pastry and microwaves do not mix - unless you're partial to leather that is!
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.