Chorizo and haloumi penne recipe
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced into 1cm thick discs
- 100g haloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 x tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 250g penne pasta
- thyme leaves, to serve
Place a large saucepan of salted water on high heat for the pasta.
Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan and brown the chorizo slices on both sides, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and replace with the haloumi. Cook until golden brown on both sides and remove, tipping them on top of the chorizo.
Reduce the heat under the saucepan a little, add a touch more olive oil and then cook the onion for a few minutes or until beginning to soften, add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the wine and then the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, once the water has come to the boil, add your pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Drain pasta and then toss with the tomato sauce, place on a large warm platter and then top with the chorizo and haloumi.
Sprinkle with thyme leaves and serve.
- You can prepare the three components of this recipe and throw them together after heating for a quick meal.
- Haloumi and chorizo are quite salty so it's important to taste this dish before seasoning.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.