Polenta chips with tomato sauce recipe
I love chips in all forms; fried, baked, potato, beetroot, you name it. But I’ve only recently discovered the joy of the polenta chip – golden, cheesy, crunchy and not at all dripping in fat. I’ve been making regular batches of this recipe for my family and we are all hooked.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- 250g instant polenta
- 1/2 cup parmesan, shaved
- olive oil spray
Spicy tomato sauce
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
To make the chips:
Line a shallow baking tray with paper and set aside.
Bring the stock and water to the boil and then gradually whisk in the polenta in a thick and steady stream. Remove from heat and add parmesan. Whisk for a couple of minutes or until smooth.
Pour the polenta and smooth with the back of a wooden spoon. Place this in the fridge for at least an hour to set. Slice into chips and spray lightly with olive oil. Heat the grill to high and cook the chips for a few minutes each side until golden.
To make the sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, paprika and chilli flakes, lower heat and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
- As soon as you pour that polenta, makes sure you soak the pot. Polenta is a nightmare to wash up.
- You can make a double quantity of the sauce and freeze some for next time.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.