Asian chicken waldorf salad recipe
- 500g chicken breast, skin removed
- vegetable oil spray
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1 large red apple (pink lady or red delicious)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups finely sliced wombok (chinese cabbage)
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves
- 40g walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- pinch salt
Heat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-high, spray lightly with oil and add chicken breasts.
Brown on both sides (a couple of minutes per side should do it), add soy sauce and place frying pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from pan and place chicken breast on a board in a warm place to rest.
While chicken is cooking, slice apples finely and toss in lemon juice to stop browning.
Place dressing ingredients into a jar and give a good shake. Toss wombok and mixed salad leaves.
Assemble the salad by layering chicken, apples and salad leaves.
Drizzle over dressing and sprinkle with walnuts.
- If you can’t find wombok, just use savoy or any other white cabbage.
- It may seem like a hassle, but browning chicken breast quickly on the stovetop and then finishing off in the oven keeps the breast lovely and moist.
- To toast walnuts, place in small dry non-stick frying pan, heat on medium-low and cook until walnuts are golden and fragrant.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad