Sweet corn fritters with tomato relish recipe
Everyone loves a sweet corn fritter. Serve it with the tangy tomato relish and you'll have clean plates every time.
Serves 4 (makes 12)
- vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups (around 500g) fresh* or canned corn kernels (2 x 420g cans drained)
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small red capsicum (200g), finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ self-raising flour
Quick tomato relish
- 2 large tomatoes (330-350g), finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled but whole
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
To make the relish, place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes until slightly thickened. Discard garlic clove.
To make the fritters, heat large non-stick frying pan to medium-high and spray lightly with vegetable oil.
While the pan is heating, mix corn, spring onion and red capsicum together and season well with salt and pepper.
Add eggs and stir through before adding flour and combining well.
Drop ¼ cup of mixture per fritter into frying pan, turning after 2-3 minutes.
Serve with a salad and tomato relish.
- *If you are using fresh corn kernels, boil them in water for 3 minutes and drain.
- If you can’t bothered making the relish – grab a store bought one, or a dollop of sweet chilli sauce.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.