Spiced tomato and egg brunch recipe
This looks like your standard eggs and tomato dish, right? But there are lots of flavours going on in here and the end result is a super tasty, incredibly easy brunch or even supper.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg per person
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- sourdough bread
Bring a frying pan to medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the onions for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute or two. Pour in the tomatoes, tinned and fresh, and cook for about 10 minutes on a gentle simmer.
In another pan, fry the eggs sunny-side-up. Serve each person a good spoonful of the tomatoes, topped with the egg and place a big plate of bread slices with good butter in the centre of the table.
- I add lots of chili and a squeeze of lemon juice to mine, and if it’s handy, half an avocado, too.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.