Savoury baked rice recipe
This is the perfect dish created from leftovers for a Sunday night easy meal. Grab some cooked rice and eggs, add some tinned tomatoes and off you go!
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- extra virgin olive oil
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced and lightly grease a couple of ramekin dishes.
Mix rice with tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Divide mixture between the two dishes and crack eggs into each one.
Push mozzarella into rice around dish edges (keeping the egg whole in the middle). Drizzle with olive oil and place in oven for 20 minutes or until egg is just cooked.
Sprinkle generously with parmesan and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Serve with some warmed bread.
- You can stir pretty much anything through the tomato and rice mixture. Try chopped spinach, toasted pine nuts, chopped olives and/or crumbled, cooked sausage.
- No mozzarella to hand? Try crumbled feta instead for a salty kick.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.