Creamy zucchini and bacon fusilli recipe
Grated zucchini is a great filler in all sorts of meals. Here you can hide it in the creamy bacon sauce and the kids won't even know it's there. Serve with a large green salad to balance out the richness of the pasta.
- 500g fusilli, or other spiral pasta
- 40ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 rashers bacon
- 300g zucchini (2 medium), grated
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- grated parmesan, to serve
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a frypan over gentle heat. Cook onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, being careful not to let them colour. Add bacon and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add grated zucchini and cook for a further minute.
Combine cream and sour cream in a bowl, pour over zucchini mixture and allow to bubble up. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Season well with salt and pepper, then stir through lemon juice and zest.
Strain pasta and add to the pan with the creamy mixture. Toss well. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
- For a vegetarian version, simply omit the bacon.
- Turn this dish into an easy pasta bake. Fill a baking dish with the combined pasta and sauce and top with a mixture of fresh breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200°C conventional or 180°C fan-forced.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.