3 ingredient fruit cake recipe
This 3 ingredient fruit cake just seems impossible until you get to the end and enjoy a delicious moist fruit cake.
- 1 kg mixed dried fruit
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) fruit juice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
Place mixed dried fruit in a medium saucepan and pour over 2 cups of fruit juice. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 150°C fan-forced or 170°C conventional. Line a 20cm round spring form tin with baking paper and set aside.
Sift the self-raising flour over the soaked fruit and stir well until completely combined. Use the remaining half cup of juice if needed to make a moist mixture.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 2 hours on the lowest shelf.
Remove from oven and leave cake to cool entirely in the tin.
Wrap in foil and keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days before slicing.
- I used apple juice for this recipe but you can also use orange juice, pineapple juice or even prune juice.
- I like to give this cake a slosh of brandy when it comes out of the oven. It’s a nice touch but not absolutely required and not recommended if children are consuming this cake.
- This cake is not overly sweet as it gets its sweetness from the fruit. If you prefer a sweet cake you should add three tablespoons of brown sugar while the mixture is simmering in the pan.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more lunchbox ideas
- Buttermilk scones
- Bacon, cheese and avocado melts
- Cheese and bacon scones
- Cheesy scones
- Choc chip scones
- Date scones
- Lemonade scones
- Finger buns
- Hot cross buns
- Corn pikelets
- Gluten-free pikelets
- Nut-free muesli bars
- Pikelets with chocolate sauce
- Veggie pikelets
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Easy cinnamon and current scrolls