BBQ chicken and rice salad recipe
Here's a great way to use up left over chook. The brown rice imparts a delicious nutty flavour, and all the goodness from the spinach and yoghurt will leave you feeling fantastic.
Serves 2 as a main or 4-6 as a side dish
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 40ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 40ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 60g baby spinach leaves, shredded
- 250g cooked chicken
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
Bring the rice and 1 1/2 cups of water to the boil, reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until the water has been completely absorbed and the rice is tender. Allow to cool slightly.
Combine onion and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat a small frypan over medium heat and toast almonds, moving constantly, until just brown. Chop roughly.
In a large bowl, whisk yoghurt and olive oil to form a thick dressing and season well. Add rice and stir through. Drain onion and add it to the rice with the spinach, chicken, mint and half of the almonds. Combine well.
Serve topped with the remaining almonds.
- Cook the rice ahead of time so all you have to do is assembled the ingredients at dinner time.
- Leave out the chicken and serve the salad as an accompaniment to roast chicken or at a barbecue.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad