Spring chicken braise with lemon, herbs and almonds recipe
This slowly braised chicken will entice the whole family as it cooks in a delicious herb-flavoured white wine sauce. Serve it up with couscous, toasted almonds and cress.
- 1 chicken, jointed
- 4 tbsp flour
- 30g butter
- zest of 2 lemons
- 20-40ml (1-2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup marjoram, chopped
- 1/4 cup rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- couscous, toasted almonds and cress to serve.
Preheat your oven to 140°C (or 120°C fan-forced). Dust the chicken pieces with flour, melt the butter over a medium heat in a heavy-based saucepan and brown the chicken well on all sides. Lay the chicken in an oven-proof baking dish.
Add olive oil to the frying pan and cook the onion, celery and carrot for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the herbs and white wine and let it bubble for a few moments before pouring in the chicken stock and bringing mixture to the boil.
Pour this sauce over the chicken pieces, cover tightly with foil and cook in the pre-heated oven for 3 hours.
Serve with couscous, toasted almonds and parsley or cress.
- Having a chicken jointed means cutting a whole chicken into six portions. You can get this done at your local chicken shop.
- I like to give this dish two layers of foil so the juices are sealed in well.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find more chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken garlic schnitzel
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken