Spaghetti with easy sausage meatballs recipe
Here's an easy cheat on an old family classic. Choose good quality, well-flavoured sausages instead of making meatballs from scratch, and you'll have dinner on the table in 15 minutes
- 500g spaghetti
- 500g good quality sausages
- 20ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 700g jar tomato passata
- 1 tsp sugar
- 40ml (2 tbsp) cream
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- basil leaves, to serve
Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain.
Make a slit in the side of each sausage and remove meat. Roll into small balls, about walnut size. Heat oil in a large fry pan and cook sausage balls for a few minutes or until brown all over. Remove to a bowl lined with absorbent paper.
Pour off all but a teaspoon of oil. Flatten garlic with the side of a knife and add whole to the oil. When aromas start to release, pour over passata and a cup of water. Add sugar, salt and pepper and allow to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
Add cream to the tomato mix, then return sausage balls and allow to simmer and cook through for a further 3 minutes.
Serve in large bowls over spaghetti with grated parmesan and torn basil leaves.
- Either beef or pork sausages would work well in this recipe.
- Increase the veggie component by adding grated carrot and zucchini to the tomato sauce.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.
Find related meatball recipes
- Chicken meatballs
- Chicken and chorizo meatballs
- Creamy mushroom meatballs
- Baked penne with fennel meatballs
- Greek meatballs (Keftedes)
- Hedgehog meatballs
- Lamb and chickpea meatballs
- Lamb meatballs
- Meatball macaroni and cheese
- Meatballs with couscous
- Mozzarella meatballs
- Pork meatballs
- Spaghetti and meatballs
- Swedish meatballs