Quick fishcakes with oven baked chips recipe
Looking for an easy fishcake recipe for a quick dinner? These fishcakes are deliciously light. A patty of tasty fish, soft potato, zingy lemon and herbs is coated with crunchy, golden breadcrumbs and served with a side of healthy-style chips.
For the fishcakes
- 2 potatoes, peeled
- 1 fillet fresh salmon or trout (pin-boned)
- 1 lemon, sliced, plus 1 more zested and juiced
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp lemon thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- a little milk
- a little sunflower oil
For the chips
- 2 more potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the fishcakes:
Preheat the oven to 220°C conventional (200°C fan-forced).
Cut the peeled potatoes into chunks, place in a saucepan, cover with cold water and cook until tender.
Meanwhile, place the salmon on a piece of foil, top with a few slices of lemon and a teaspoon of the butter and wrap tightly.
Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until just pink.
Once the potatoes are soft, drain and mash with remaining butter and a splash of milk. Set aside. Once the salmon is cooked, flake into the cooled mashed potatoes and combine remaining ingredients (thyme, parsley, lemon zest and juice) and season to taste.
Form the mixture into about 6 small patties.
Press these into the breadcrumbs and set aside.
For the chips:
Slice the remaining 2 potatoes into chip shapes (I don’t bother to peel them) and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
Gently toss with the olive oil and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
While the chips are cooking, heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and cook the fishcakes over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Add colour and zing with sticks of cucumber and carrot and an extra squeeze of lemon or lime.
- If you want some extra vegetables in this recipe, grab a handful of frozen vegetables and add them to the potato mixture.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local Is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.