Chickpeas with chorizo recipe
Tapas is one of the easiest options for when you have friends coming over. Everyone loves this relaxed way of eating. This chickpea, chorizo and tomato recipe is brilliant as it’s quite filling, very tasty and takes just five minutes to throw together.
- 40ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced into 1cm thick discs
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight then cooked until tender or 1 tin (400g) chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- chilli flakes to taste
- 1 handful basil, roughly chopped
Place the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a medium heat.
Brown the chorizo slices then remove from the pan, then cook the onions for 5 minutes or until nice and soft.
Return the chorizo to the pan and add the chickpeas, tomatoes and chilli flakes. Add a little water if you think the mixture is looking a bit dry.
Cook at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Scatter with basil and serve.
- You can serve these as a snack or with other tapas dishes for a dinner party.
- If you are serving these to children you may omit the chilli flakes.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.