Chicken Breast with Sesame Salad recipe
This chicken breast salad has crunchy vegetables dressed with a delicious Asian-style dressing and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
- 1 tbsp (20ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) agave nectar (or 2 tsp sugar)
- 2 tbsp (40ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (20ml) light soy sauce
- 1 bunch (120g) broccolini, sliced
- 180g snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 4-5 (100g) radishes, finely sliced
- 500g skinless chicken breast
- oil spray
- 2 tsp (10ml) sesame seeds, toasted
Place sesame oil, agave, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce in a jar and give a good shake. Set aside.
Bring a sauce pan of water to the boil, season with a little salt, reduce heat to a simmer and add broccolini. Simmer for 1 minute before adding snow peas/sugar snaps for a further 30 seconds. Drain vegetables and refresh in a bowl of icy water.
Once vegetables are cool, drain and dry completely in a salad spinner or between paper towels. Toss peas together with sliced radishes and dressing.
Slice the chicken breasts horizontally to make thin fillets, and spray lightly with oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan or barbecue grill to medium and add chicken breasts. Cook breasts for 3 minutes, turn and cook for a further 2 minutes before allowing to rest on a wooden board for a couple of minutes.
Serve chicken breasts with salad and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Refreshing veggies in iced water stops the cooking process, keeping the veggies crunchy and green.
- I have used Agave Nectar (or syrup) in the dressing because while it has a similar kilojoule content to sugar, it's much sweeter and so you only need to use half the amount. You can buy it in the organic or natural food aisle in your local supermarket or from health food shops.
- To toast sesame seeds, place in a dry non-stick frying pan, heat on low until seeds are golden and fragrant. Keep an eye on them because they burn quickly.
- Recipe written by Jay Rogers for The Moodie Foodie. You can follow The Moodie Foodie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad