Fresh peach cake recipe
This is a great, simple fresh peach cake recipe and you can swap the peaches with pretty much any fruit. Unsweetened apple sauce, pureed cooked pear and raspberries blitzed into a sauce are all perfect substitutions.
- 1/2 cup (125g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup peach puree*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
Butter and flour a round, 24cm cake tin, then line base with baking paper.
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional (160°C fan-forced). Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, peach puree and vanilla.
Fold through the dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.
Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the side and is golden and firm to touch.
Cool for a few minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- I tend not to ice this cake, as it honestly is sweet enough and there’s something nice and comforting about its plainness. But if you want to bling it up a little you could always top with a nice lemon or raspberry icing.
- To peel the peaches, slit the skin and drop into boiling water, remove after 20 seconds with a slotted spoon and plunge into cold water. The skins should peel right off.
- *To make the peach puree, just process the peach flesh in a food processor or blender.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related cake recipes
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Fresh peach cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing