Pork belly and mango salad recipe
Pork belly is a wonderfully indulgent ingredient well-suited to roast dinners and winter feasts. Lighten it up by serving it in this delicious Vietnamese-inspired salad, perfect all year round.
- 500g piece pork belly
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 Lebanese cucumber,
- 120g baby spinach
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- juice of 1 lime
Heat oven to 240°C conventional (220°C fan-forced). Score the skin of the pork belly with a sharp blade and salt it liberally, then place in a shallow baking dish skin-side up. Bake for 15 minutes, then immediately drop oven temperature to 180°C conventional (160°C fan-forced) and cook for a further 40-50 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar with a screw top lid and shake well.
Slice pork belly into 3cm cubes. Halve cucumber lengthwise and remove seeds. Slice on the diagonal. In a large bowl, combine cucumber, spinach, chilli, onion, herbs and mango. Drizzle over most of dressing and toss well to combine.
Divide salad ingredients between four plates and distribute pork belly. Drizzle with extra dressing and serve with lime wedges.
- Ask your butcher to score the skin of the pork belly. Alternatively, use a stanley knife.
- If mangoes are out of season, a green mango from your Asian supermarket will be just as delicious. Slice the flesh into very thin matchsticks.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley from the blog Typically Red.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad