Carrot, walnut and lentil salad recipe
It doesn't get any healthier than this delicious carrot, walnut and lentil salad. Throw it together and take along the dressing and you will have the perfect salad for lunch, brunch or anytime you need a vitamin pick-me-up!
- 1 1/2 cup French green lentils
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Rinse the lentils and drain, place in a large saucepan and cover with water so it is 3cm above the lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a jar. Shake vigorously to combine. Drain and set aside.
Once the lentils have cooled, add to the remaining ingredients, toss through the dressing and mix well.
- Check the lentils towards the end of their stovetop simmer to make sure they aren’t turning to mush – you want them to be firm and ‘al dente’.
- I am possibly a little heavy-handed with the Dijon, just because it’s my favourite dressing so feel free to knock it back to 1 tbsp if you are a little less enthusiastic about this ingredient!
- Some crumbled feta or goat’s cheese would jazz it up nicely for a sunny picnic, as would some steamed spring beans or asparagus spears.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.