Slow cooker bread recipe
You won’t believe how easy it is to make bread in the slow cooker or crockpot and there is no kneading and rolling involved at all!
- 3 cups (750ml) warm water
- 1 tbsp granulated yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 1/2 cups (975g) plain flour
Step 1. Place water, yeast and salt in a large container and whisk together. Add in flour and use a large wooden spoon to make sure all ingredients are combined.
Step 2. Cover loosely and leave to rise for 2 hours.
Step 3. Sprinkle flour over the risen dough and turn out onto a sheet of baking paper.
Step 4. Sprinkle top of dough with flour and shape. Lower paper into your slow cooker.
Step 5. Set slow cooker for 2 hours.
Step 6. When cooked, remove from oven and place under grill for 6-8 minutes to brown the top.
- This makes a very large loaf, which is fine because I have a very large rectangular slow cooker. This made around 1.2kg of dough.
- For a regular round crockpot-style slow cooker you can divide the dough in half and cook for 1-2 hours, finishing it off under the grill the same way I did with the large loaf.
- Any unused dough can be placed in the refrigerator until you need it. Just return it to room temperature for 5 minutes before you put it into the slow cooker. It should keep up to a week.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.