Spanish lentils with chorizo recipe
These Spanish and chorizo lentils are a super satisfying meal for those that love robust flavour. Go Spanish tonight with this quick, easy and low-fat bowl of stew-y goodness. Ola!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (180g), finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red capsicum (225g), finely sliced
- 1/2 chorizo (60g), finely chopped
- 2 x 300g cans brown lentils, drained
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock (start with 2 and add more if you need to)
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6-10 drops of tabasco sauce (optional)
- coriander or parsley for garnish
Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onion, garlic, capsicum and chorizo.
Cook on a medium heat for 8 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Add remaining ingredients, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until thick and fragrant.
Serve in big bowls with a sprinkling of coriander or parsley.
- I use half a chorizo for the entire dish to keep the fat and calories down, but if you have chorizo lovers in your house, feel free to up the Spanish sausage!
- You could use one can of lentils and one can of kidney beans too - or any other canned legumes.
- I make double the quantity and have it for lunch all week long – yum!
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.