Thai beef salad with nam jim recipe
This Thai beef salad is made with tender, lean steak and tossed in a delicious nam jim dressing. Serve it up for a fresh healthy meal that even the fussiest kids will love.
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander root
- 1 long red chilli (deseed if you don’t want it too hot), finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice (1 large lime should do it)
- zest from lime
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp peanut oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp water
- 70g rice vermicelli (turns into about 220g when softened)
- oil spray
- 400g lean beef steak
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 lebanese cucumber, chopped or sliced into ribbons (for ribbons, use a potato peeler)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- coriander leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
Place rice vermicelli in boiling water and leave to soak for 5 minutes until softened. Then drain vermicelli and set aside.
Place all dressing ingredients into a small blender and process until smooth.
Heat a small non-stick frying pan on medium high.
Spray steak lightly with oil on both sides and add to the pan.
Cook steak for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Remove steak from pan and allow to rest on a board before slicing thinly.
Mix lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum, coriander leaves, mint leaves and rice vermicelli together and divide among 4 plates.
Top with slices of beef and pour over nam jim dressing.
- You can use any rice noodles you like in this dish, I just really like the super thin ones.
- Lime juice is great but if you can't find limes, use lemons.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find more Asian food recipes:
- Pork and prawn dumplings recipe
- Pork and prawn spring rolls
- Spring rolls
- Vegetable spring rolls
- Chicken fried rice
- Duck and fried rice
- Fried rice
- Fried rice Goong Goong style
- Prawn fried rice
- Simple fried rice
- Spicy fried rice
- Beef and glass noodle stir fry
- Chicken and basil stir fry
- Chicken broccoli cashew stir fry
- Chicken cashew and hokkien noodle stir fry
- Hoisin chicken stir fry