Chicken and rice mini pot pies recipe
These chicken and rice mini pot pies are quick and easy without the hassle of precooking or browning – everything is done in the oven. This makes for a great low-fat, nutritious dinner idea.
- canola oil or spray
- 3/4 cup (200g) wholemeal flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (250ml) low-fat milk
- 400g minced chicken
- 125g finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp fruit chutney
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Spray or brush a 12 cup muffin tin thoroughly with oil.
Place the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well for the egg white.
Then gradually add in the milk while whisking to make a nice batter with bubbles. (If the batter is too thick just add some water until you get the right consistency.)
In a bowl place the minced chicken, spinach, rice, chutney, season and mix thoroughly.
Using your hands mould the mixture into 12 small balls and place in the muffin tin.
Bake the mince balls for 10 minutes then remove from the oven and pour the batter over each ball so that it fills just below the rim.
Bake for another 20-25 minutes until the batter rises and turns a lovely golden brown. Serve with fresh vegetables.
- To speed this recipe up you can use rice from a ready-made pouch and frozen chopped spinach.
- To keep these low fat you can use chicken breast mince.
- I sneak spinach into mine but feel free to add celery, grated carrot or whatever veggies are in the fridge or garden.
- This recipe was created by Karla Gilbert. You can read her blog at Ironmum Karla, catch up with her on Twitter, find her on Facebook or peek at her pins on Pinterest.