Brown rice pudding with cinnamon recipe
Everyone loves a rice custard and this brown rice pudding is perfect on cooler evenings. Made from wholegrain brown rice this pudding takes the nutrition up a notch and is perfect for the most active families.
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) low-fat milk
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine milk and rice in a small saucepan and over medium heat and bring it to the boil. Turn down heat and gently simmer while stirring for 5 minutes.
Add sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Continue to stir while the flavours infuse for approximately 5 minutes over low heat.
Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, until rice absorbs flavours.
Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until pudding sets.
- If the pudding tends to soak up all the milk, just add in some more before serving and mix.
- If you don't have maple syrup, you can use golden syrup, honey or even a stevia to sweeten this recipe.
- I like to serve this with some good quality Greek yoghurt.
- This recipe was created by Karla Gilbert. You can read her blog at Ironmum Karla, catch up with her on Twitter, find her on Facebook or peek at her pins on Pinterest.