Roast vegetable soup recipe
This roast vegetable soup is full of delicious root vegetables and garlic, slowly oven-baked to bring out the natural sugars and flavours. Serve it up with crusty bread and real butter for a deliciously satisfying meal.
- 500g butternut pumpkin, skin on (remove the skin if using a variety with thicker skin)
- 1 large (about 500g) sweet potato, skin on
- 2 onions, peeled
- 3 carrots, skin on
- 8 large garlic cloves, skin on
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups (500ml) stock
- 2 cups (500ml) water
Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
Coarsely chop pumpkin, sweet potato, onions and carrots – making sure everything is about the same size.
Add vegetables to a large bowl along with garlic, herbs and olive oil.
Toss until everything is well covered and divide on oven trays.
Roast for 35-40 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Squeeze out the garlic (discarding the skins) and blend or process the vegetables until smooth – using a little water to loosen the mixture if it’s too thick to blend properly.
Place puree into a large saucepan along with remaining water and stock.
Bring to a simmer and serve.
- You’ll notice that I kept the skins on the root vegetables – extra fibre and loads of vitamins and minerals live in the skin.
- You get so much more flavour from the vegetables when they’re roasted, so it’s worth the roasting time.
- Use any root vegetables you like for this soup. If you’ve got parsnips, swedes or turnips feel free to add them. Beetroot is also great but it changes the colour.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe