Lemon and marjoram roast chicken recipe
This lemon and marjoram roast chicken has a zingy marinade that adds a twist to your regular roast chook. Serve it with salad and tortillas and have everyone create their own tasty wraps.
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 2 tbsp fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- tortillas, baby spinach and oven-roasted tomatoes, to serve
Combine lemon rind, juice, marjoram and oil. Place chicken in a non-metallic dish and pour over the marinade, rubbing it well into the skin. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Heat a grill pan over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, season it well and cook skin side down for 2-3 minutes until nicely browned. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until juices run clear.
Meanwhile, combine yoghurt and oil in a small bowl.
Remove chicken from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut it into 4 pieces and serve with spinach, oven-roasted tomatoes and warmed tortillas, with the yoghurt dressing on the side.
- Ask your butcher to butterfly the chicken or, to do it yourself, cut down both sides of the backbone (sturdy kitchen scissors work well) and remove it, then turn the chicken over and press down on the breastbone to flatten the chicken.
- Starting the cooking process on a chargrill pan or barbecue lends a delicious smoky flavour that will carry through to the finished dish.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, pierce the thigh near the bone with a sharp knife. If the juices are pink or red, it needs more cooking time.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find more chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Spiced yoghurt chicken with coriander rice
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken garlic schnitzel
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken